Friday, September 18, 2009

So what kind of interesting things happened the last weeks?
So first of all, I am very proud to announce to I received the FZI (Forschungszentrum für Informatik) Prize for the best diploma thesis in computer science at the University of Karlsruhe in the Year 08/09 for my diploma thesis "Development of a Power-Aware Rate Controller for the H.264 Video Encoder". There were more than 160 graduates in this year- so I think my work is really not that bad ;-) And it was endowed with 1000€ *g*.
Here a (unfortunately bad-quality) picture of this day:


Apart from that, life runs its normal way. I have just too less time for private coding - or I'm just too lazy. But I pulled myself together and I dived into JavaFX.

What the hell is JavaFx you aks yourself? Answer: It's a product family (let's say some kind of enhancement of Java) made by Sun Microsystems. Its main purpose is to help developers to produce easier and faster Rich Internet Applications (RIAs) with media and content across a wide variety of platforms and devices.

There some tutorials in the net but I suggest a book like "Essential JavaFx" or "Pro JavaFX Platform". If you are a Java coder (maybe just as hobby like me) and you wish an better way to design cooler Java applets, then go for JavaFX. Download the newest (really cool but god-damn sluggish) NetBeans Environment including the JavaFX plugins/SDK and have a look.
But don't be shocked - it differs heavily from plain Java - it's some kind of mixture of Java and a script language. You specify the layout hierarchical as a tree of nodes, but you can have also classes and even access classes written in plain Java. But is has some really cool featurs like binding, Animations and Effects.
For my personal learning purposes, I am (still) coding a little applet for calculting the resistance of a physical resistor which I will release soon on my homepage with sources - so stay tuned!
Here a screenshot:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.